You’ve probably heard about EGCG in relation to green tea, and this organic compound has attracted a lot of attention over the past few years as research has shown more and more about its potential health benefits. Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) is a plant phenol that happens to be particularly bioactive, which means it is very likely to interact with cellular processes and organic molecules. It’s this activity that has made it so exciting for researchers, and human trials and population studies continue to shed light on how beneficial this plant phenol can be.
Exciting Health Benefits of EGCG
Research shows that EGCG offers many health benefits including:
- Benefit #1 – Improved Heart Health – In the Western world, clogged arteries is a big problem, and sedentary lifestyles and poor diets only make this problem worse. Researchers have found that the anti-inflammatory properties in EGCG can decrease inflammation in the arteries, reducing the chance that plaque will build up on the walls of the arteries. The reduction in the inflammation of the arteries may also help lower blood pressure, and other studies have shown that EGCG may help lower bad cholesterol and raise levels of good cholesterol. Together, these things work together to improve heart health and lower the risk of cardiovascular problems.
- Benefit #2 – Reduces the Risk of Some Cancers – EGCG is a powerful antioxidant, and antioxidants work to neutralize free radicals before they can harm the body. We’re exposed to free radicals continuously today, and they’re produced when you breathe in chemicals, cigarette smoke, car exhaust, and when the body digests fats. Free radicals have the power to modify and destroy DNA in the body’s cells, and DNA abnormalities can cause cancer. Population based studies have shown that people that drinking green tea high in EGCG have a lower incidence of cancer, and various studies show that EGCG may prove useful and lowering the risk of bladder, breast, colorectal, pancreatic, prostate, lung, skin, and stomach cancers.
- Benefit #3 – Regulates Blood Sugar Levels – EGCG may also help to regulate blood sugar levels, making it beneficial for people with both type I and type II diabetes. Some studies show that it can slow the progression of type I diabetes. Individuals with diabetes have a higher risk of heart problems as well, since their blood is stickier. Because of EGCG’s anti-inflammatory effects, it can help to reduce some of this risk as well.
- Benefit #4 – Reduces Inflammation in Arthritis Patients – In patients with arthritis, EGCG helps reduce pain and improve overall joint health. It’s the anti-inflammatory properties of EGCG, specifically the ability to reduce the amount of prostaglandin E2, that make it beneficial to people suffering from arthritis. It may even help to protect against the cartilage destruction that can occur in arthritic joints.
- Benefit #5 – Slows the Aging Process – Since EGCG is an antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties, it can help slow the aging process. Free radical damage is what causes damage to cellulite membranes, resulting in aging. Aging actually occurs from the inside of the body, although we see the visible effects later like wrinkles and sagging skin. It’s impossible to stop the aging process, but with EGCG it’s possible to slow it down by neutralizing, reducing, and eliminating the damaging free radicals in the body.
- Benefit #6 – Improves Mental Alertness and Cognition – Green tea is known for improving mental alertness in cognition, which is partially caused by the L-theanine and caffeine it contains. However, studies have looked specifically at EGCG and found that it offers alertness and cognition benefits on its own.
- Benefit #7 – Boosts Weight Loss – One of the most exciting benefits of EGCG is its ability to boost weight loss. Recent research suggests that EGCG may help burn fat, boost metabolism, and help reduce appetite. One study showed that EGCG was able to increase the resting metabolic rate by 4%, and other studies have shown that it’s also effective at suppressing appetite, resulting in decreased calorie consumption. Because of its fat burning, metabolism boosting properties, we use EGCG in our Fit Tea Fatburner. Although it’s not a “magic bullet,” the Fit Tea Fatburner uses EGCG, an all-natural ingredient, to boost fat burning and weight loss results when combined with a healthy diet and a good exercise program. Other products, like our Fit Tea detox products and even our Fit Coffee, boast a healthy dose of EGCG as well to support and increase your weight loss results.
Potential Side EffectsMost people never experience side effects when using products with EGCG, and studies have proven it to be well tolerated and safe in healthy humans at reasonable doses. In rare cases, it may cause hypoglycemic activity or result in anemia when taken in large amounts. Taking too much could also result in kidney or liver failure. However, these side effects are very uncommon and generally seen only when taken in extremely high doses. For most people, a reasonable dose of EGCG comes with few or no side effects.
Although scientific studies on EGCG are still in their early stages, research does show that it offers many health benefits, and multiple studies have been done on its ability to aid in weight loss. Since it’s shown to be a safe, natural ingredient, adding products like Fit Tea Fatburner or Fit Tea to your diet can offer you a safe way to see better weight loss results.